Friday, February 09, 2007

Murtabak @ Restoran Victory Arab Street, Subang Jaya



Fans of the famous Victory Restaurant in Arab Street, Singapore can rejoice as they don't need to travel down south for their famous murtabak with the recent opening of a branch in Subang Jaya. It must be famous because everytime I do a Google search on Singapore murtabak, two names keep popping up - Zam Zam and Victory who are located side by side each other on Arab Street.

I must admit, I have yet to try the murtabak in Singapore hence I can't vouch for whether it's the same as the one served in Victory but I have been told by the owners that the cooks used to work in Victory Singapore's kitchens. Moreover the Singapore owner's son is also overseeing things here.



They serve four varieties of murtabak here - chicken, beef, mutton and sardine which comes in various sizes i.e small, medium, large and extra large. My version was the extra small beef murtabak for RM3. The prices for the other sizes range from RM5 for the small portion to RM12 for the extra large while the sardine version is cheaper at RM4 for the small portion to RM8 for the large portion.

I managed to catch the cook making the murtabak and in this version, they add two eggs in it. One inside together with the minced beef and onion filling and another one outside of the murtabak when it is placed on the hot plate for it to cook till crispy. Unlike other murtabaks whereby the outside and the filling tends to get soggy, here the filling is drier and more crispy on the outside. It tastes excellent when paired with their curry and the thick vegetarian dhall they make out of African lentils.

Besides murtabak, another specialty is their briyani rice which has chicken, lamb, meat, fish and even prawn versions. I must admit it's rare to find seafood versions. For the fish version, ikan tenggiri is used. The briyani is priced at RM7 per plate while the prawn one is based on the seasonal price. I didn't manage to try their briyani but the rice does smell really good so that will be slated for another visit.

Restoran Victory arab street
No. 21-1, Jalan USJ 9/5Q
Taipan Business Centre
Subang Jaya

Tel No: 03 - 8023 5924

(Halal. Open from 9.30 am to 11.00 pm. This is at the road which has the famous Pizza vs Satay and Soo Kee's Son's Noodles. It is also near the Al Falakh Mosque. Parking can be horrendous here but there's a private parking nearby. Alternatively, you can also call ahead to place an order and pick it up from the restaurant. The GPS coordinates are N 03 02.775', E 101 35. 252')


Updated on 12/2/2007 - check out USJ.com's forum for comments from those who have tried the murtabak.


*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here is entirely based on my personal tastebuds and may vary for others. The reviewer also declares that she has not received any monetary or non-monetary compensation from the restaurant for writing this review.

Tagged with: + +

14 comments:

Fulltime Mom said...

Wow! Thanks for the heads-up Boo. Will try to visit this weekend. I can never resist the call for Beriani, and seafood beriani, sounds interesting.

BTW, the area might be Subang Business Centre, rather than Taipan Business Centre.

boo_licious said...

fulltime mom - maybe you can report back if the briyani passes yr approval. The fish one is readily available, prawn sometimes I think. The address is what's on the card so I guess they got it wrong.

NURAINA A SAMAD said...

hi,

just happen to go through sabahan.com's top 50 malaysian blogs.. u're among them.
just so curious, so decided to visit. was i lucky or what?
i must say thank you thank you.... i will try out the murtabak at this restaurant. and i am a good judge of whether it is like singapore murtabak.
i am singapore-born. go back to visit my relatives there every hari raya (or at other times whenever i can)..
i have never been able to get singapore murtabak here.
will surely go and try.
thanks again.

nuraina

ilene said...

Hi BOO, hop blog from WMW. I see Nuraina is here already! Wah Boo, you and WMW are writers for food tasting or what?

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

I must be terribly ignorant for not knowing what Singapore murtabak is! It sounds terribly delicious, though, what with two sinful eggs in it together with minced beef. Good dhall is hard to come by too.

Tummythoz said...

Never had this 'brand' here nor in S'pore. Used to get my fix from pasar malam stalls. Luv the bright pink coloured onions that comes with it but always feel very 'jelak'(over fulled?) after such a meal.

whistler said...

so embarrassing, I never eat murtabak before, I guess it's different from Roti Sardin right? Look delicious too, and the murtabak is crispy outside. I'll visit one day.

Collecting Moments said...

BOO, are u on a curry/spicy food frenzy this week? :D Been ages since I had a murtabak, now u got me craving for some.

boo_licious said...

nuraina - thxs for dropping by. Hope you do visit the place and let me know the verdict.

ilene - just a hobby.

lyrical lemongrass - the dhall is excellent and thick just the way I like it. Don't worry, I didn't know anything abt Singapore Murtabak either.

tummythoz - this one is served with sliced cucumbers, no pink onions though.

whistler - maybe time to try? Must expand yr tastebuds a bit.

honeystar - not really. Think I am more on look out for things to cool down with since the weather is superhot.

mh said...

noticed you've included GPS coordinates lately, you install a GPS system in your car?

whistler: call me, we go to try together.

GFAD said...

Hi boo. Sorry out of topic a bit. What is butta vanilla? I heard you mentioning about it once. And do you know where we can get real vanilla extract, and not essence? I tried Bake with Yen and Chang Tung, but couldn't find. Thanks!

boo_licious said...

tekko - not mine, just borrowed from bf since he has now has a GPS phone so he doesn't use this anymore.

kat - sorry not sure where you can get the extract, maybe ask Fatboybakes? I usually use the essence, or this bean paste I got from Australia or this extract my dad got long ago when he visited Madagascar. I think Lilian used Butta Vanilla, suppose to give you fragrance of the vanilla essence but obviously it's not the real stuff.

Lynna said...

OMG!!! I am so so happy to know about this cos I missed the food back home! I will definitely try it and see whether it tastes the same as the one in Singapore. Definitely will try the beryani and compare. Since I moved here, I missed all the food back home and murtabak is one of them. Thank you!!

trailmarky said...

whoa!!!, you had a passion in blogging, thumbs up for your work of love.. Hehe very inspiring ideas,


anyway I'm william
mind if I put a link back to you?


(clickable) ------> tailcoat

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...